Let me begin...

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Almost there. . .





















Well, another happy Sunday has come and gone. . .these past months have literally flown by, leaving me feeling amazed at the multitude of blessings the Lord has given me in such a short period of time.

Since this is my new blog, I guess I should sum up the past several months for you quickly. . .

1. I have a new job, completely provided by the Lord. After turning down another job offer (staying in the comfort zone of my current school), I has to step out in faith because I just didn't feel right about it. The Lord allowed me to have a glorious "Abraham month" where I sought Him to discern what to do next. A different job became available, one I never thought I'd do. Then again, I also promised myself long ago I'd never be a Special Education teacher, and here I am. Then I promised myself I'd never work with kids over the age of 8. . .guess what, now I'm a middle school teacher. :-) It's amazing how the Lord showed me . . .how He promised me that if I acted in obedience, things would work themselves out. It happened. My heart is utterly burdened for the classroom of students.

2. Along with the above divine intervention, I will be here this summer, not in Kenya, which is what I had thought for months. While it was difficult to give the trip up (new teacher training and assessment training last for several weeks in the summer!), I know that what I am doing is what God wants. Many very encouraging people have spurred me on in this, reminding me that Africa will not be going anywhere any time soon, and that the Lord has a great plan for me here; otherwise, I wouldn't need to stay. My heart still yearns for Africa, but as I have learned over many years of waiting for many different things, God has a better plan.

In addition to these two major things, here are a few other things I've enjoyed as of recently:

1. Philippians 3:7-21:

7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Pressing on Toward the Goal
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

15All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

17Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you. 18For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. 20But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.


My prayers are that I will constantly remember this passage of Scripture, no matter what challenges the Lord allows me to meet yet. As my pastor says, "Are you living to do something that is impossible without God in it?" I am blessed to have challenges because testing of the faith is good, as is perseverance, which leads to character, and then hope.

I eagerly await the time when I can stand, sit, and walk with Jesus Christ, but that time is not now. Until then, I will press onward, understanding that perfection is not what I seek, but a true, intimate, Father-daughter relationship with the One True God. He is my Great Romancer, the Lover of My Soul, my Abba Father, and the King of Kings. No matter how many failures I keep record of on my own accord, I know that He does not because He is a God of forgiveness. Through my failures and weakness, Christ is glorified and I am made strong by His power. That's what I need. . .some Christ-given power.

Until we meet again. . .Gal. 6:18:
18The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers. Amen.

1 comment:

Hadassah said...

Welcome to Blogger Talitha! I'm glad you started your blog, and thanks for the link, too.

I'll be checking in on you often.

Congratulations on the new job, I am delighted for you. You are going to be an awesome teacher.