Let me begin...

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Whew. . . blessings in disguise

Howdy!

A little southern speak there...sorry about that.

It's been a hectic day and I guess I've gone country. But it has been great "checking off" my chores list. Friday I was horizontal all day, so my 4 loads of laundry had to be done after church today. It was rough going, but everything is put away, the closet is clean, and the bed is made. Yay!

Now I'm baking a spice cake...typical, I know. Lots of baking this month so far....I am baking two more times this week, too! For parish group I'm making apple streusel bars, then some cookies for our SPED meeting Thursday....then teriyaki chicken for the weekend! Lots of fun times at the oven!

So I had a break from work this past week and we traveled to San Juan Island to stay at Roche Harbor. It was a great trip---TONS of snow along the way! We got there and the forecast called for snow....but is was clear the whole first day. The second day, however, brought many inches of snow--the most I had seen in almost 20 years! It was amazing! We saw a whole deer family eating clover together, bald eagles (both of us for the first time!), and many fat robins. :> Chirp!

So why is this post entitled "blessings in disguise?"

I am almost constantly sick. This is a pattern in my life that has been constant since I was but a tiny tot, so I am not complaining when I say this. Just stating a fact.

For some reason, any time I leave home to take a trip. . . .even overnight. . .I always get sick. Stomach, head, sinuses. . .something is going to pitch a fit and try to ruin the trip altogether.

At first, I thought, "Here I go again. . . I am going to ruin this vacation being sick." But then. . .we were there to rest. My husband was totally content in looking at the snow and wildlife. We didn't have anything fancy planned. . .and we had not packed for the blizzard that entrapped us. . .so we mostly sat around in our fire-lit cabin playing cards and enjoying the snow. It was also good to have time to discuss our recent house options since we don't often have time together during the week.

Now that we are back on the mainland, I am finally feeling better. Sometimes, God has to "make me sick" so that I take time to rest (hence healing my body from the weekly "beatings" it takes at work). God allowed me to be sick during our vacation so that I would have to rest. And on Friday when I had many chore-related plans, God allowed me to have a "no standing allowed" headache so that I would actually REST.

I have trouble giving myself a break, if you haven't already guessed. Between all of the things I love to do and my job, there isn't much time left over to REST. And God says--REST IS GOOD! DO IT! NOW! But often, I just don't listen. Because of my stubbornness, God often has to allow me to get sick to get rest.

At least this is how I view my life. I really need to try to rest more so I get sick less! ;) Preventative care! Vitamins and supplements clearly aren't all a person needs to stay in good health, and I know that the Lord is looking out for me and HE wants me to take good care of myself so I can keep going . . .with a happy spirit and attitude because I FEEL GREAT.

So thank You, Lord, for helping me get some rest during my break from work.

Back to enjoying my cake baking.

2 comments:

Sonny Davis said...

I'm sorry that you felt ill, but I'm glad that you got the rest you needed. Sounds like you two had a great getaway. We try to do that from time to time (Savannah or Jacksonville), and it is always refreshing.

Too often we over indulge ourselves with "things to do" instead of rest. As your post articulates so well, God has so many ways of getting our attention and providing what we need! He is so good!

Talitha said...

He will definitely do what He needs to get us to rest!