Let me begin...

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Who are you working for?

Col. 3: 22-24: "Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God. And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ."

Who do you work for?

** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** *

This week was another very dramatic week at work. Without saying too much and lowering my standards of not slandering others to enhance my own sinful being, I feel that this is a topic I need to address to share with you the work Christ has done in me.

So who do I work for? Sometimes, I selfishly work for myself. I like lists. I like checking off things I've completed. I like to "get ahead" in my work. I hate when I feel slothful.

I also often find myself working for others. Deep within, we all want others to be happy with us. We are people pleasers by nature, myself certainly included. We want people to pat us on the back and say, "GOOD JOB!" I think some of this is because it is in our nature, as Christians, to wait for the end of a certain "good work" and hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." But should I desire to hear this from an earthly boss not unlike myself? Should I not be holding out to only desire to hear these things from MY SAVIOR? What can mortal man do to us or for us? Nothing as good as what the Savior can do.

In a tough spot on Thursday, I forsook my title as a child of God and really had a desire for an earthly person to gratify my need to receive acceptance, inclusion, righteousness, and overall "goodness."

This was wrong.

In the situation, I know for certain that my actions have aligned with the law of God. I know that when I stand before Him, I have done nothing wrong because I was obedient. I loved my students more than myself. I did not act unprofessionally or inappropriately. The Lord will not judge me as being a sinner because I loved others and was burdened for them. I did what I needed to do to please God and not man....so why did I want MAN to accept my actions as if he were the LORD? I cannot place heavenly expectations upon those who are not of the Lord...nor those who are of the family of God.

MY ACCEPTANCE AND INCLUSION IS NOT FROM MAN....NEITHER IS MY COMMISSION.

I have been so graciously reminded by the Lord that I do not have to seek acceptance from man. I do not have to account my actions to man.

I AM JUDGED BY ONE RIGHTEOUS GOD.

Why would I want anything any different? As we have all fallen short of the GLORY of God and sinned, I cannot expect a righteous act or decision to be made by someone of the world. No one, only God the Father in His great Triune Body, is righteous.

Since my ACCEPTANCE, INCLUSION, and COMMISSION are all from the Lord, I must remember to seek Him above all things, listening to Him when He tells me to speak, and being silent when I must be silent. I must remember that it is not to man that I will have to answer for my deeds...it is to the Lord.

I must strive on in this race to receive the prize in the end...I must persevere and not be discouraged by the world and the events that occur in my life.

1 Thessalonians 5:14-18:
"And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."

God, I pray for the strength and compassion to NOT pay back wrong for wrong. I pray that You will cleanse my heart. I pray that you will help me to strive for the good of others before myself. Please do not let me be disheartened when the road less traveled becomes difficult, when the brambles catch my clothing, and when I scrape my knees upon Your earth when I fall.

Forgive me for desiring things that are not important or eternal. Thank You for Your promises....and that Your joy is renewed each morning.

4 comments:

Sonny Davis said...

Talitha, thanks for this "deep, thought provoking" post. Your insight about this subject is inspiring.

I was reminded about the many times that I have sought the recognition of men, and at times, made God secondary. It is an easy trap to fall into. Many times we don't even realize it.

Yet, as we pursue to please God, our quality of work in many situations often times seems to rise to the top and we are rewarded with praise from men and God. As long as we don't SEEK the former instead of the latter, we do well. An old saying that I learned in the Air Force was "it may be good enough for government work, but is it good enough for God's work?" As a Christian, the purpose of this saying was to remind me that I was not working for man, but for the Lord. Would HE be pleased with my work? This attitude helped me win quite a few awards during my time in the military, including "Maintenance Professional of the Year" runner up. It was certainly for HIS glory.

I am often dismayed when I see certain celebrities honor God with their lips on the heels of a great triumph, but their celebrity lifestyle never quite adds up. It is as if mentioning God has become the "token" thing to do; however, it is those people like yourself, whose lifestyle, conduct, and devotion are consistent with your praise, that inspire us all!

I hope I wasn't too incoherent in my comment. If so, please forgive me as I've been battling sickness all weekend.

Dacia said...

Hi Mary thanks for sharing your blog on mine. I've been encouraged here today. :)

Talitha said...

Sonny--you are right! We should always strive to work to the best of our ability to serve the Lord....but not to impress others! You were not incoherent!

Talitha said...

Thanks for visiting, Dacia! I saw your link on Lauren's blog and got way too happy looking at all the crafti-work! I love it!