Let me begin...

Friday, September 3, 2010

My God is ABLE

That is a lyric from a REALLLLLLLLLY old gospel song back from the early 90's. "My God is able, yes He is, He can do what He said He'd do!"

God promised me a long time ago when I became one of His covenant children that He would mold me, grow me, protect me, provide for me, multiply me, discipline me, answer my prayers, seek out my best when I can't figure out what is best, and be my Daddy.

God has done all of these things. He has been faithful when I have felt faithless, when I have felt hopeless, when I have been so worried about what was going to happen next.

But you know what? He already won. He won the battle, He defeated the victory, and now He will help me defeat my own enemies. . .sometimes even myself.

I am so thankful for a God like this--for a God who doesn't change on a whim. For a God who isn't like the wayward women of the Bible, being blown to and fro by every new teaching. My God doesn't change His mind; He won't take back what He has already offered to me.

And He offers this so freely to others. Why do we try to complicate things so much? I know I do. It seems like I want things to be "brain-teasers" when sometimes the simplest answer really is the right one! I pray that when others get to a point where God has called them, that they will not complicate what is so simple. When God said faith like a child, He wasn't talking about one of those genius kids who starts college at 8 or is inventing new ways to cook all the fat off bacon. . .He was talking about normal kids. Normal kids who pick their noses, normal kids who cry when their parents leave them, and normal kids who have no concept of time and other things we adults focus so much on.

It's so easy.

It's so simple.

God is so good.

We are SO bad.

We can reach God. . .

If we reach out for help from Jesus.

And you know what?

Even after you've walked with God for years, He STILL ISN'T GOING TO EXPECT YOU TO BE PERFECT. HE STILL UNDERSTANDS THAT YOU ARE GROWING. HE STILL UNDERSTANDS THAT YOU WILL NOT REACH PERFECTION UNTIL THE DAY OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.

I am thankful that God reached out to me almost 10 years ago. . .I am grateful that He is still continuing to work on me and work in my heart. Each day He finds a whole new box of things stored up that we have to clean out and purge. He does this with grace and is gentle.

This is the ABLE God that we have. He is able to see us through the hard times, when things aren't looking up, when we are so down we can't even see the Sun. He is able to wipe our slate clean. He is able to forgive us even when we can't accept forgiveness.

I am glad to have this ABLE God. Thank you Lord, for being who you are. I do not want to limit what you can do. Please continue to be ABLE.

3 comments:

Sonny Davis said...

Great post and I love the song! In fact, we have an hour long concert video of Ron Kenoly entitled "God is Able". I'm not sure if Ron is the original author of the song, but his version (and the concert) is spectacular.

The truth that God is able, should abound in our mind during every stage of our life. It is especially relevant when we are facing trials. Though God is able to provide us a way out, He often lets us go through trials to grow us and increase our faith. Other times, out of His abounding love and grace, He chooses to protect and deliver us from all such temptations that He knows we are not able to endure. Yes...God is certainly able!

Unknown said...

ahhh, He is faithful to refine, teach, purne and shape His children. praise Him that He doesn't leave us where we're at but shows us daily that there is more of Him to consume and embrace. love ya

Talitha said...

I am so thankful He didn't leave me alone and didn't stop making me grow even when it was painful. The refining fire burns. . . .but in the end, it makes everything much better.