Let me begin...

Friday, November 19, 2010

Truth

I like honest people.

I appreciate when someone tells it like it is.

I don't want a pretty picture...I want the TRUTH.

I want to say, "I promise, I can handle it. . .because I have Jesus and I want to help you see Him, too. . .so please, be honest."

In my personal life, I love honesty. In my work life, I love honesty. I appreciate when people are honest about who they are, what is going on, what they need prayer for, why they feel sad, etc. Just because we have Jesus doesn't mean we should walk around with smiles plastered on our faces. Just because we are teachers and "role models" doesn't mean that we have to fake it. So in my daily walk, I am honest with others about how I feel. Sometimes I think that this throws people off. "I feel frustrated." ?!?!?!?!?! "You're not just fine?" . . ."I feel proud because my kids' parents read the note home!" "Whoa, that's too much information." I do not say this because I feel like people don't listen, or for any other reason except to say. . .I encourage others to really tell me how they feel.

In other cultures, if you ask someone how they are, you really want to know. I like this.

But if people respond with the truth I have witnessed that others find this shocking. . .both in my observations and in my personal experience, people ARE NOT USED TO HEARING THE TRUTH. Hmm. Maybe it is just because I am usually meeting new people, people I have not been around forever.

People stay at this shallow level.

And I think this is something that I need to be aware of to make a difference; to show people Christ.

Jesus cared about the inside of the cup, not the outside.

He cared about the heart, not the hairstyle.

I have to be able to show them 1) I am listening; I do want the truth, 2) The truth is okay, 3) Love/support/friendship is not dependent on the appearance of happiness or being well put together.

Note: I am not writing this because I feel that people are "lying to me," I am just realizing more and more that our cultural norm is to just "keep your mouth shut" and never let anyone see your hardships. Of course, this is true of a non-Christian culture to the upmost degree--people do not want to be seen as weak, they want to be seen as powerful and successful and competent. In a Christian realm, one would hope to see people who realize that they cannot be powerful, successful, and competent without the abilities that God has implanted within us. Our spiritual gifts. Our previously given positions created before the beginning of time.

And even with Jesus, we FAIL. Utterly. With brokenness. Even with 110% dedication.

Each day, there are things I forget; things I disregard. This shows my humanity, my lack of deity, my imperfections, my flaws, my need for a Savior.

I think that truth and being accepting of the truth and expecting the truth is a way to break down this barrier between we as the followers of Christ and others. We have to listen. We have to love. We have to speak truth. We have to listen and accept as the truth is spoken to us. The way we accept truth will either A) encourage more truth or B) discourage less truth. If we can't be real with others, they certainly can't be real with us, so that is the first barrier. The second barrier: we have to encourage others to be real with us. We must be gentle with them, just as Jesus has been gentle with us.

This is a way to connect to another person's "soul." To reach that inmost being.

To help.

Be honest with yourself.

Be honest with others.

Respect others and appreciate their honesty. . .because if someone tells you the truth, they are beginning to PUT TRUST IN YOU. They are beginning to value your opinion. God may be able to use you in this person's life because you are truly connecting with one another.

I pray for these opportunities for myself at work. I pray to be able to be open and honest with others; in turn, encouraging them to do the same with me.

Here I am preaching to my own choir.

We are stewards.

We are entrusted.

I am a member of a Great Body.

Love.

Honesty.

Truth.

Listening.

Serving.

Jesus.

Lord, help me.

No comments: