Let me begin...

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

God equips the "useless" and the weak

As of recently, I've begun studying Exodus. It's a great book with a multitude of many applicable "stories" that I like reading over and over. Exodus is full of a fight for freedom, a fight against persecutions and hard hearts, and an example of how God will use the weak things of the world for His kingdom. 

In Exodus 4, Moses and God are conversing. Moses is hanging back, seemingly trying to explain to God why he is "not right" for the job the the LORD has given him. 

God shows Moses some awesome sigs he will give Pharaoah (a leprous hand, a staff that turns into a snake), but Moses says, 

Ex. 4:10: "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." 

This is applicable in my life because I know that I can totally "pull a Moses" with God. God shows me something that He wants me to step out in faith for. . .and I say, "REALLY? Me? Why? YOU sure? Give some amazing sign! . . . .(God gives sign). . . .That wasn't good enough, one more please?" 

God tells Moses, (me paraphrasing) "I gave you your mouth, I gave you your tongue, I give you your speech! If I call you, won't I give you what you need?" 

God tells Moses that He will "teach him what to say." God can do this for me too, I know. He has done it before. Pastors, evangelistic workers, etc. all pray that "not my voice, but the voice of the Holy Spirit" be heard when they go out or preach. This is what I want for my life, but it is easier said than done. Sometimes, I fail to trust that God can use me. 

I want to give God a list of reasons about why I am not good enough:
1. I'm too young. But God says. . . . 
       1 Tim. 4:12: "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example
       for the believers in speech, in life, in  love, in faith and in purity."
2. I'm not good enough. But God says. . . .
       Eph. 2:10: "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which
       God prepared in advance for us to do."
3. I'm too weak. But God says. . . .
       1 Cor. 1:27: "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the
       weak things of the world to shame the strong."
4. I'm too exhausted. But God says. . . .
       2 Cor. 12:9: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. . ."

I could go on with my list of excuses. There are plenty. Satan knows them, and he will use them against me. I work against myself, Satan works against me. The amazing thing is that even when I offer up to God my list of excuses, He STILL PURSUES ME, HE STILL LOVES ME, AND HE STILL USES ME. 

God still used Moses. Despite Moses' blatant request that God appoint someone else, God suggests Aaron, Moses' brother. Here is what God said about how the two men would reach Pharaoh:
Ex. 4:15, 16: "You shall speak to him (Aaron) and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him."

Even in Moses' desire to NOT be appointed, God still chooses to use him. The most amazing thing I've saved for last. . . .
"What about you brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and his heart will be glad when he sees you." (v. 14)
What did God just say? He said that Aaron was ALREADY ON HIS WAY. 

God knew what Moses was thinking before He even said it aloud. He knew that Aaron would have to come into the picture. He knew that Moses would offer those excuses of not being good enough. Even though God knew that Moses wasn't going to be completely obedient right away, He STILL wanted to use him. And use Moses He did. 

Lord, I pray that you will help me to "strengthen my feeble arms and weak knees. And make level paths for my feet so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed" (Heb. 12:12, 13).

<><

1 comment:

Mrs. Erven said...

Wow, I've never even noticed how God had Aaron on his way before Moses said anything. God is so faithful and always provides!

Sarah <><