Let me begin...

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

God's mercy

Found another point of encouragement from Exodus today, so I wanted to write it down on here. I love writing down things because later on down the road, I can look back on all of these encouraging things the Lord reveals, and remember my blessings. 

A quick blurb about Exodus 13: 
The Lord shares with Moses the importance of dedicating the firstborn to the Lord. This includes both animals and children. He wants Moses to tell His people that when their future posterity asks why they participate in such "rituals," His glorious deeds, miracles, and merciful love will be remembered throughout the generations.

Then something wonderful is said of the Lord:

Exodus 13: 17, 18:
"When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea. The Israelites went up out of Egypt armed for battle."

This is awesome because it reminded me that God knows exactly what we can handle. I wrote about equipping in an earlier entry, and this certainly ties in with the same idea. The Israelites were burdened, exhausted, despondent, and persecuted. The Lord KNEW that if He took them on the shorter route, they would feel discouraged and return to Egypt to slavery. Knowing this, and desiring freedom for His chosen people, the Lord took them on a longer route, never leaving them. 

God does the same thing for us each day. In a time of trial, the Lord knows which straw might "break the camels back," so to speak. The Lord does not give us trials to break us; rather, He gives us trials to strengthen us and teach us about perseverance, as well as continue to sanctify and refine us. 

As the old saying goes, the Lord does not give us more than He has equipped us to handle. No matter what the battle is for me, if I am not equipped, God will lead me (possibly the long way) around that battle because ultimately, He wants freedom for me. :-) 

What a merciful Savior. 

Matthew 11: 28-30: 
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

God will teach us what we need to know to get through the battles He sends.

1 Peter 1: 6-9
"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." 

Oh, Lord, I pray for us all to experience such joy over what our faith has given us: salvation. Thank You for leading us around things we cannot handle. Thank You for allowing us to go through the things that you are equipping us for. And thank You for the Holy Spirit, who resides in us always, giving us power. 

2 comments:

Jim Danner said...

Great Blog. It is so wonderful that God blesses us with giants too great for us! Thanks for sharing about God's mercy. - PJ

Sonny Davis said...

Talitha,

Great post. We have enjoyed reading it and getting to know you. I guess I need to get a "pen" name, or a "blogger" name. Anyway, if you have time, check out my site at http://thejoyofgrace.blogspot.com/

I've linked to your site.

Sonny Davis