Let me begin...

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's July!


Where has the summer gone? Why yes, that's an interesting question. I realized that it was July on July 2nd. . .I still thought we were in June. Between the Lord, grad classes, time with friends, and the new job, the days are busy, thus making them speed by! 

I know that what I am about to say might sound weird, but I guess we all have our quirks. :-) When I got the keys to my classroom on Monday, I was freakishly excited. One of my best friends was with me and she is so willing to come and help me move everything in. . .it's amazing how much everyone wants to help. That's a glimpse of the Jesus I see in them. 

That's not the weird part, but my heart overflows with love for people, so I couldn't stop myself from digressing for a minute. The weird part is that yesterday I went to my classroom alone and I just cried. I was so happy to be there, to be able to set things up, to be able to be a part of VMS. God made my heart melt again the way He did when I went to observe the classroom for the very first time during the spring. My eyes welled up as I thought about where each of my students come from; some from loving families (I pray!), and some from a hard youth much like mine. Wow. God is entrusting me with such treasures. These aren't the kind of treasures that are buried in a field, but in a sense, these students have been somewhat "buried." I am not a perfect teacher or person, I do not have all the answers, and I know that I'm going to make millions of errors this year (and each day!!), but I just pray that like the man who sacrificed it all for that field, that I would sacrifice myself and my will each day I go to work so that God can equip me, the fallen. He truly will have to equip me. . .there is no way I could even begin to do this without the Lord.

I reviewed IEP's and read background history and current performance information. . .I cried some more. If God places opportunities for me to share my heart and my faith with my co-workers and students, I pray that His words, not my own, will exit this earthly body's mouth. . .and that they would flow and be like milk and honey, given freely. 

I have several other best friends who are teachers (some may be reading this now!), and they are certainly feeling similar things about the year, their kids, their classrooms, etc. I am praying for ALL of us that the Lord Almighty would lead our instruction, our speech, and our hearts. To think of everyone I know, out there laboring beside me in their given placements (work, school, even home!) gets me all excited.

At church, we've been studying about the Great Commission during Sunday school. It's been a great review session, and it's been very encouraging. We get to talk amongst ourselves at our tables. . .and I know that everyone in that room is so wonderful and special. . .they are out there shining little rays of Jesus on everyone they meet. I am so excited for that. Jesus is applicable in everyone's lives and I feel like I see that everyday because we are all SO different. . .we just have that One Person in common. It's like, Jesus is the glue that holds our worlds together. 

2 Timothy 2: 1-7:

 1You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others. 3Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs—he wants to please his commanding officer. 5Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules. 6The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. 7Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.



2 comments:

Mrs. Erven said...

Talitha, thanks so much for the encouragement. This entry has inspired me to get into my classroom and begin preparing for this year. It's nerve-racking, because I remember how burnt-out I'd become last year. But your words of encouragement have reminded me of what a great treasure we have in our kids.

Let us all remember the treasures we've found, go home, sell everything we have, and return to buy and enjoy our field!

Hadassah said...

You yourself are quite a ray of sunshine Talitha! I hope your year is all that you are expecting it to be. But don't get too worried if it isnt!