Let me begin...

Sunday, November 2, 2008

It's November, and there's much to be thankful for!


Wow, I cannot believe that the month o' turkey is here already! When I look back, it seems like school just started and it was just August yesterday. That is not the case. I've discovered that each year goes by faster and faster. The past 3 months have been a sprint. Let's see if I can make it to Thanksgiving. At least after this week the busy time for drama will be over. "Law and Order: Fairy Tale Unit" will be this Tuesday and Thursday. The teacher and I have created a back-up plan for my student, just in case the line doesn't quite come out. We will see what happens on Tuesday night. The line has not generalized over to the actual play. She knows the line in an isolated setting, but when we get in there with the other kids and costumes. . . .the need to laugh over another student dressed as a cow (who jumped over the moon) becomes to great to focus on anything else.

The girl's cow costume is actually extremely cute. The got a white sweatsuit and her mom sewed on black patches. She's even got tiny ears and a tail! :-)

My DynaVox conference was great, despite poor hotel service. It was great to meet other teachers in my position. The conference was based on implementing the device with the student. I will tell you that I have to spend a great deal of time helping him to communicate using the box instead of gestures and leading people to desired items. . .hopefully the ideas I got at the conference will help him become more independent. It's difficult to be the only adult who can assist him in using his AT device. 

I am excited about Thanksgiving. It's just around the corner. I am praying to get all my GAA write-ups done during the week off. We shouldn't have any grad school work either, so I think I can get it done.

One of my parapros (and her 2 kids) and I are going to have Thanksgiving together. I am so excited. :-) 

In other news, last day o' grad classes for the semester: December 8th!! I am anticipating the holiday season. . .a plan to go take pictures of some snow for my students has been formulating for awhile. The poor kids have never seen snow. That is deprivation. Snow is so beautiful. 

Back to Thanksgiving. Sweet taters, mmmmhmmm!

Things I am immensely thankful for:
1. My students
2. My co-workers
3. Friends & church family
4. The Bible and it's wisdom
5. God's guidance, even when I don't understand it
6. Sleep
7. Cool weather
8. Watches
9. Contacts
10. Comfortable walking shoes
11. The color brown
12. Grass
13. Thai food
14. Biscuits
15. Humor
16. Random trips we take to conferences with the low incidence program (we usually laugh a ton)
17. Binder clips
18. Stick glue
19. Colored paper
20. The value of Hershey's enabling me to use chocolate to teach fractions
21. Hand sanitizer
22. Febreeze
23. Toilet plungers
24. Fingernails
25. Sidewalk chalk
26. My car
27. Coffee
28. Granola bars and the ease of carrying my lunch
29. Music
30. Genius music mixer
31. The ability to think
32. The ability to express my feelings verbally
33. The ability to move quickly without any help
34. The ability to answer simple questions
35. The ability to button my pants on my own
36. The ability to take a bath on my own
37. The ability to stand up for myself
38. The ability to say "no"
39. The ability to hug
40. The ability to appropriately express my emotions
41. The ability to show love
42. The ability to drive
43. The ability to comprehend what others are saying to me
44. The ability to read
45. The ability to write
46. The ability chew and enjoy the food I eat
47. Patience
48. Important Bible Scriptures
49. The ability to continue my education
50. The ability to pay the bills and give to the church




. . . .there are more, but I am out of time now! I love writing these down because there are so many things I think of each day that I am thankful for that others cannot do/cannot comprehend/do not have/etc. Thank you, Lord!


No comments: