Let me begin...

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Daniel & Esther. . .surviving this world

So we're studying Esther in "big church" (wooooo, I love the OT!) and Daniel in our women's Bible study right now. I am very excited about this because both of these books are so encouraging for we who are called to be "in the world, but not of it." We are called to let out lights shine to men so that we may bring glory to our Father in heaven.

In the book of Daniel, Babylon is seen as a city that is focused a little on everything the world sees as "good and pleasing". . .everything except God. Living in a place like that can pull a believer further and further from God. . .putting focus on self and others.

I don't know about you, but at work, I have to fully lean on my Jesus to be able to stay focused on eternal things. It is exhausting, draining, demanding, and trying. The war against the world, Satan, and myself is going on daily, right here where I live. 

Sometimes people only think about those who work overseas needing to worry about "staying strong" against battles. I think that each of us must rely on the Lord to stay strong in those daily battles. While Esther had a whole flock of Jewish people depending on her, I am certain that each person has at least one person depending on him or her. Even when Esther feared for her own death, she told the people to fast and pray. She struggled to keep her eyes on God during the tough times. While my battles are nothing in comparison with her, I still find myself somewhere in that story. 

The battles against myself are usually very interesting. It's when I take my eyes off the Lord and say, "Man, I would love to stay home today" that things get crazy. It's at those times when I have to read my strength verses for the year or flip to my now well-worn pages of Philippians to find the verses of promises and encouragement that I need. GET UP AND MOVE IT, YOUNG LADY! While the Lord may not use those exact words, He does lovingly remind me that work isn't something I am doing for myself or of any power within. Quite honestly, as the days go by, I see how little I truly have to offer without that Holy Spirit (inside my carcass--lol). Middle school was not my choice. Special Education was not my choice. Both were pre-planned, and I trust that whoever/whatever I am there for, the Lord will work me into those places.

The battles against man also drive me to reading Philippians. . .as well as the Gospels. Christ fought MUCH GREATER battles than I fight. He was always successful and never fell into sin. People can be very discouraging. When I feel discouraged, sometimes I want to run away. It would be so much easier to not be in a certain place, to not talk to a certain person, to not call a certain parent, etc. It is definitely a tough battle, but I can't let myself run from those things. When I run, I am not solving the problem. I am inviting more.

In a world that tells me that I am unworthy if I do not meet the criteria for a certain list, my God tells me that even having that list is pointless. No matter what my plan is, things don't ever go down in that exact way. While I am not saying this to excuse myself from planning, I am saying this to say that I have learned that sometimes, the plan just needs to be thrown out the window. My best plans can be turned into tragedies (I've seen it happen) without God's assistance.

Since I'm now focusing on my life day by day, I pray that today the Lord would be active in my life. I pray that I will meditate on what He is teaching me, that I will be thankful for the promises He left for me in His Word, and that when I am afraid or intimidated, I will put my trust in Him. 

Daniel 1:8-10:
"8 But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. 9 Now God had caused the official to show favor and sympathy to Daniel, 10 but the official told Daniel, "I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your [c] food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you."

I pray that when I am tested by the world, I will stand up as Daniel did in this passage and refuse to be defiled. May I rely on the Lord, not myself or others, to send me along the path I am meant to take. Because Daniel relied upon the Lord,

Daniel 1:20:
"20 In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom."

God has the power to do this, and all He asks for is belief. 

John 6:29:
"29Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

1 comment:

Mobe said...

Talitha, you are such an encouragement! I very much enjoyed talking with you as well. I hope you have a great week. You and your students are definitely in my prayers this week.