Let me begin...

Saturday, August 16, 2008

My first week of school. . .

Just wanted to write a quick update before I jump on the ball for today! 

So far, I LOVE MY JOB. Even though I am thoroughly exhausted each day, and even though we have some extremely stressful things happen, it is still the most wonderful thing on the planet. I am so thankful for the awesome co-workers the Lord has given me. There are two instructional teachers down the hall and I immediately pinpointed them as people who would help me. I asked for dry erase boards for my class--they gave me a whole set. . .and the erasers and markers to go with it! I also borrowed some manipulatives to make math more enjoyable for the students. 

Yesterday started off rough. . .one of my students uses a walker and as she was being lowered to be from the bus, her walker collapsed and she fell. I caught her right before her back and head hit the side of the bus, but I was hot for a minute. I tested the walker and found out that it collapsed because someone didn't check to make sure it was snapped out. :-( I sent special instructions to the transportation office via the principal, so it should not happen again.

That was extremely stressful. We have a great nurse, and she made me have a seat until I had taken a breather. 

God brought it back from that point, however. He didn't leave me in a stressful day, and for a little while I had to make myself smile. 

Then one of my students told me I was the best teacher he'd ever had. The day before, I had to conference with him twice because he showed some attitude and that doesn't fly with my classroom rules. He told me that yesterday he "Had his smile back on his face and he had a good day." 

My job is hard. . . .but when I hear things like that, that is all the payment I need. I may not be able to help these kids achieve every goal their parents want them to achieve, but I know that by trying my hardest every day, I really can make a difference in how they feel.

The Lord brings me encouragement EVERY SINGLE DAY before the day is over, whether it is encouragement from a student, from someone achieving a goal, from a co-worker, or from a parent. 

After a week, I can already see people changing. I hope that the rest of the year will be this wonderful.

From what I hear, if you make it through the first week alive, you're going to be okay. :-) 

As one of my students would say, ROCK AND ROLL, BABY! 

2 comments:

Hadassah said...

Talitha, one of my dearest friends from my younger days has a special needs child who just started school this fall (kindergarden). I cried when I saw the pictures of her little vulnerable baby going off into the big cruel world, being entrusted to the care of a teacher for the majority of her day. Then I thought of you, and the job that you do. And it encouraged me that there really are wonderful, loving people serving in the schools, looking out for the needs and hopes of even the children that our society disregards, or even mocks and disdains. What a blessing you are to the mothers of those children in your classroom.

I know people say all the time "you just don't uderstand until you have kids of your own," but it is so true. Someday, when you send your own babies off into the care of a "stranger" you will realize what a service it is you provide when you LOVE those children, as Christ has loved you.

Mrs. Erven said...

I'm so excited for your first year. God is using you and going to keep using you this year. Your children are so blessed!