Let me begin...

Sunday, August 3, 2008

School is beginning. . .

Wow. Tomorrow begins a year-long trek for me. . .my first year of teaching. 

As many of you know, I am going to be teaching special education at a local middle school. I have seven students ranging from 6-8th grade. Now don't go into convulsions. . .middle school isn't that bad. However, I totally get where you're coming from (if you're one of those people thinking: WHY WOULD YOU VOLUNTEER TO WORK WITH KIDS IN SUCH AN AWKWARD STAGE??!?). Not so many months ago, I did not see myself teaching middle school. I was (and still am) in love with preschoolers. . .three is my favorite age. I just love kids. 

The truth of the matter is, this was for God. I didn't randomly choose to take a job working at the middle school. It's amazing that it was given to me; God was certainly in charge the whole time.

During my interview, I remember the principal telling me that ten years ago, he interviewed a teacher much like myself: young, full of passion and ideas, fresh out of college. At that point, I thought he was going to turn me down . . .maybe let me down gently. However, he looked at me and said, "I've never regretted that decision, and I'm willing to make the same decision now. I want to see what you can do." I think there was some shock at that point. In my mind, I was thinking I was about to be gently let down. God had other plans in store, and I thank Him for reaching out to that principal.

I can already see a multitude of opportunities in front of me. I've already been extremely busy (and we haven't even gotten started yet!), but it is (and will be) worth it. From the people I've met, the mentor teacher I've been given, and the opportunities that my students are going to have for the first time, I know I am going to be fulfilled at this job. 

A friend at church said to me today: "This is when you need the Holy Spirit right there beside you--school's starting!" 

Oh yes. God has seen this woman thus far, and HE will continue to do so. When I am ill-prepared, God will give me the knowledge I need. When I am exhausted, He will give me rest. When I run out of supplies, He will fill my cup. When I feel inadequate, He will remind me that it's not me, it's Him who does all of the talking. 

I pray to glorify the Lord in all that I do, one step at a time, one day at a time, one week at a time. 

God has me at the foot of Mount Sinai. He has me close by, close enough to hear His voice, close enough to hear His commands, but far enough away so that I might not die through viewing His glorious face. 

God knows that I need help. He knows that I need someone to equip me. The Holy Spirit is doing that in me, one day at a time. 

So if you think of me, writing my lesson plans about the geocentric theory and the Aztec Indian empire, please pray for the Lord to move mightily in me. May I not work in my own strength--may I only rely on the strength that comes from the Lord. 

John 3:30:
"He must increase, but I must decrease."

I'm excited!


3 comments:

Mrs. Erven said...

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." ~Galatians 6:9

I love you, Talitha. I'll be praying you and our other teacher friend through your first year.

~Sarah <><

Sonny Davis said...

Thank you for the work that you do. We'll be praying for you.

Zebedee

Hadassah said...

I'm so excited for you Talitha! I can't wait to hear about how your year progresses. I have no doubt that you will be a huge blessing to your students, probably in ways they won't even realize right away.

Love ya!